Minister of Employment and Labour ThulasNxesi says his department is looking to introduce quotas for a percentage of foreign nationals who can work in South Africa.
The new measures, if implemented, will apply to certain sectors.
Nxesi attended a meeting involving the Portfolio Committee on Employment and Labour and Select Committee on Trade and Industry, Economic Development, Small Business Development, Tourism, Employment and Labour on Wednesday.
He revealed that the Labour Department is looking to implement quotas with regards to the number of foreign nationals that can be employed in certain sectors.
Nxesi also revealed that the COVID-19 relief schemes has issued out a total of R9bn to various companies so far.
Earlier, Nxesi said his department has received numerous complaints from employees, who said they had not received payouts.
The Department of Employment and Labour has also set out guidelines for ensuring safe working conditions, with a big chunk of the workforce returning to their places of employment under Level 4 lockdown regulations. Nxesi said employee safety will rest on a collaborative effort between the workers and their employers. He further added, “I need to make the point, that whilst we depend on the good will of responsible employers, workers also have a responsibility here: to wash or sanitise their hands, to wear the PPEs provided, to keep their workstations clean, and to follow directives in relation to health and safety. This is in everyone’s interests – so that everyone remains safe and we curb the spread of the coronavirus.”